Hi-rail, also known as high-rail, is a type of vehicle that can travel on both roads and railway tracks. Hi-rail vehicles are commonly used in the construction industry to transport workers, equipment and materials to and from railway worksites. In this article, we will explore what hi-rail is, when and why it's needed and how to access it.
What Is Hi-Rail?
Hi-rail vehicles are modified road vehicles that can operate on railway tracks. They have specially designed wheels that can be raised or lowered to switch between road and rail modes. Hi-rail vehicles are typically used in railway maintenance and construction work, as they can transport workers, equipment and materials directly to the worksite without the need for further transport.
When and Why Is Hi-Rail Needed?
Hi-rail is needed in situations where railway maintenance or construction work is required. This may include:
- Track Maintenance: Hi-rail vehicles are used for track maintenance, such as repairing or replacing tracks, ballast or sleepers.
- Bridge Maintenance: They can access bridges and tunnels that are not accessible by road, making them ideal for bridge maintenance and repair work.
- Signal Maintenance: Hi-rail vehicles are used for signal maintenance, such as installing or repairing signals, crossing gates and other railway equipment.
- Construction Work: The vehicles are also used for construction work, such as building new railway lines or extending existing lines.
How to Access Hi-Rail
To access hi-rail vehicles for construction work, contact a qualified hi-rail service provider. Look for a provider that has experience working with your specific type of construction project and a good reputation for quality service and customer satisfaction. The service provider should be able to provide the necessary hi-rail vehicles, as well as experienced drivers and operators to ensure that the work is completed safely and efficiently.
Benefits of Hi-Rail
Using hi-rail vehicles for construction work offers several benefits, including:
- Versatility: Hi-rail vehicles can travel on both roads and railway tracks, making them ideal for transporting workers, equipment and materials to and from railway worksites.
- Efficiency: The vehicles can access railway worksites directly, eliminating the need for additional transport, which can save time and money.
- Safety: Hi-rail vehicles are specially designed and maintained to operate safely on railway tracks, reducing the risk of accidents and injuries.
- Cost-Effective: Using them for construction work can be cost-effective, as it removes the need for other transport and can reduce project downtime.
Hi-rail is an essential resource for construction work in the railway industry. The vehicles are modified road vehicles that can travel on both roads and railway tracks, making them ideal for transporting workers, equipment and materials to and from railway worksites. When accessing hi-rail services for construction work, consider factors such as experience, reputation and quality of service. With the right hi-rail service provider, you can ensure that your railway construction project is completed safely, efficiently and cost-effectively.
Contact a company like Davison Earthmovers to learn more.